Skip to main content

A Moment with My Brother (A Memoir)

I think it wouldn't be suitable to call him a brother; not just in terms of age, but in comparison to many things, I am a man like his grandson. But, every time I hear the 'Atmik Yatra' radio program he starts talking, 'I am your own brother .....' then who can stop me to call him as a brother, isn't it? I don't know whether the brother does know me or not, but I know him very little. Of course, being recognized to each other is not a big deal, but because of the Atmik Yatra' radio program, I felt so close to him.


From the year 2003, I started attending Saturday Church service regularly. One day in the early days of my Christian life, I got a magazine called 'Hamro Aashis'. For the first time in the magazine, I saw the broadcast schedule of the 'Atmik Yatra' radio program.

At that time, radio was mostly heard in the village. Almost every house had a radio. Watching TV was not practiced yet. Still, I remember there was only one house belonging to a TV in the village. Two brothers of that house were employed in the British Gurkha Army. In that house, people from all over the village used to gather during the season of World Cup football and I would too.

Nowadays very few people in the village listen to radio, very few watch TV and many uses Facebook. It is interesting.

After knowing the broadcast schedule of the 'Atmik Yatra' radio program, I rarely missed listening to the program. Otherwise, every day I would come to the program, I would carry the radio to listen with my full attention. The program only lasted for 15 minutes, which is still the case. At the beginning of the program, 'I am your own brother .....', and also towards the end 'I am your own brother .....' I was very curious to know, who is this, my own brother? But even never told his name. Who is this brother, who would speak for fifteen minutes and forced to think all day long, talking in such a sweet, sweet voice? I asked and searched for information about the brother to Church leaders, but from nowhere there was no news about the brother.

Here's how the brother's name was found:
I'm a guy with a special interest in song and music. As a believer, I also have a duty to listen to as many faithful hymns as I can. However, I had limited resources for listening and learning hymns. Often in the church, hymns composed by local leaders were sung more often. The people who taught the songs of the Christian psalm book were not good at all. Umo (grandmother) had brought a cassette player when she returned from Sikkim. I used to listen to hymns on that cassette player. The cassette player used to have four batteries at total, at that time the battery was the cost of twenty-five rupees for a pair. Therefore, there was not enough chance to listen to the songs as much as I want. And another case was a limited number of cassettes, so sometimes it felt like listening to the same cassettes repeatedly in a boring way.

At that time, about 15 minutes of 'Atmik Yatra' program, the hymn played about 2-3 minutes was like a rare gem for me; like a drop of honey on the tongue, like a glass of water for a traveler to the desert.

But unfortunately, sometimes due to lack of time; the brother would finish the program without playing any psalms. The message of the program would be always been sweet, but I would feel upset on the day when the program would finish without any song. I used to think, why my brother didn't play any song today?

The brother never missed saying, "Please write me a letter ....... I will always wait for your letter" at the end of the program. So I decided to write a letter to my brother.

I wrote a letter, pasted a post-sticker and posted it in the post-office. In the letter, I wrote something about myself, some program compliments and one of the biggest request. The only request was to 'play a psalm anyway' during the radio program.

About a month later, Brother's reply came home. The letter was written by brother with his own hand. I read the letter, had a lot of fun. The letter said a special thanks for the correspondent. Brother's letter showed that my guess was right that the reason behind not playing any song entire the program was due to a lack of time. Nevertheless, the letter promised that 'we will try to keep a hymn'.

And at the end of the letter, it was written 'sincerely yours: Narayan Sharma'. I was thrilled. I felt like something big was invented. Narayan Sharma was that the dear brother who has been hearing from a long time ago.

Probably the reason I have requested or because others also requested, since that day there has never been a broadcast of the program without a small piece of a hymn. I was so grateful to the brother who answered a quick letter to a boy from a remote village like Unbu VDC in Okhldunga.

Others also listened to the program and praised the program. But I said to myself, 'What do you know? This guy is Narayan Sharma'. I used to tell many people that the brother who speaks on the program is Mr. Narayan Sharma.

First time I saw my brother:
I had appeared for the SLC exam in March of the year 2005. May be at the end of May 2006, a letter from Kathmandu arrived at the church. Church leaders were invited to attend in a convocation of a Bible College students. We, along with the leaders, flew to the capital city with a team of four. It was my first trip to Kathmandu. About half an hour from Rumjatar airport, we landed at Kathmandu. This is how we arrived at Bethel Church in Lalitpur.

On the second day of the three-day program, senior singer Karna Das also arrived. He read a section of the Bible, described a few lines in biblical perspective and sang the song 'Jindagiko Ke Varosa, Yo Ta Sano Khalauna Ho'. I felt a little uneasy about singing this chorus in the church as a hymn manner. Towards the end, I sang the song of 'Ma Bekar Ma Shunya Manislai...', which touched my heart. "This song was recently recorded, has not released out yet," he said.

On the occasion of the same ceremony, a man appeared on the pulpit during the sermon session; almost wearing red dark and pink spotted half shorts and white hair. This is what I saw, whether it was a little farther away or n illusion of my eyes. The noise was too loud, so the speaker's name could not be heard properly. Only the clapping was played. The speaker prayed in full English for about two minutes. Only then he did start talking in Nepali. I shocked listening to the voice. The tone and the style of speaking sounded like a known sound. I immediately remembered the brother, who speaks on the program. I had been thinking about to ask about my surroundings. But I heard someone talk on the backside: "This is Narayan Sharma, who speaks on the 'Atmik Yatra' radio program." So I felt relax.

Only the voice of the brother I had heard. How about face, physical size? Perhaps I had imagined. But, seeing my brother face to face, the first trip to Kathmandu felt like a realization of success. If I had met the brother, there would have been talking and conversation, but it would not happen. So, I think it is more authentic to say that I have seen my brother than I have met him.

First Meet with Brother:
From the year 2006, I left the village. Then after I have been serving as a member of a local congregation in Itahari. The name of the church is the 'Isai Prabhuko Mandali.'

The Fourth District 'Annual Conference and Spiritual Awareness Conference' of the Believers Church was held in our church on 29-31 March 2013. In fact, the conference was a special focus for the Believers Church community only. On the last day, I went too. I met my brother, took some photographs and heard his sermon at the end of the program. I also heard that Brother's ministry had moved overseas. After the event, we were all dispersed from the church to our homes. It was my first meeting with my brother.

Why did I write this memoir?
There was a the time; I would be waiting eagerly for the 'Atmik Yatra' radio program; pulling the radio antenna and climbing up to the walls. That was the sweet voice; talking in simple language; from which I learned about many serious ways of approaching towards God. I tried to learn so many new hymns through the program. I also had the brother's handwritten letter too.

The 'Atmik Yatra' radio program has added so many values to the spiritual aspect of my Christian life. Even now, I often hear this program on the Internet and Whatsapp. Sometimes I go back to the old days while listening ... That sweet fresh air of the village, .....  radio of Philips company and antenna............... batteries of Tiger, Lion, Eveready company ............and so on many childhood memories.
Nowadays I see almost all of the brother's Facebook updates. It seems like Facebook is making close to us. What the brother says or speaks; he always talks about the truth; always he does good and think only about goodness to others, that's how I feel. I wish may the brother continue to make the face of God smile through his work. I have a deep affection from my heart to the brother Narayan Sharma through Christ's love. As my own brother, I will always have the highest regard for him as a servant of Christ. May the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob be with his brother forever. May all honor, glory, devotion be our living God forever. Amen.

Second meet with brother:













Last year in December of 2018, just after returning from my Thailand trip to hometown Itahari; Father Rajesh Rai (a pastor) took me in a pre-Christmas celebration program at Biratnagar, where the brother was also called to give a sermon about the birth of Jesus Christ. It was our second blissful meeting; we talked about 'Atmik Yatra' radio program and WhatsApp group for program audiences.

Thank you all readers for your patience and time to read my memoir. May God bless you all.

The first meet with brother memoir is also made for a radio program by Mr. KD Bhandari Kailo, who currently staying in the US and interested in literature. You can listen to the radio program here on YouTube:


If you want to join in Atmik Yatra WhatsApp group; please give a missed call to the number given in below photo:


To listen the Atmik Yatra Radio program on YouTube, please follow the link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwADLfP65tIW7NBJy9Xf2Qg/featured/>

If you want to share this story on Facebook, please copy this link and paste: 
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eZ_1gaOjrlqDo-taFeta4kW2FuXkrDIYbXOu3qBjYaA/edit?usp=sharing

Comments

Popular Posts

Email Samples of KCC to DV Winners: from the DS-260 Processing to 2NL (Interview Appointment)

Millions of people from all over the world participate in the DV lottery program every year. But, out of those millions, only a few lucky ones get selected in the DV lottery program. Annually, 55,000 immigrants from eligible countries can enter the United States legally through the DV lottery. But unfortunately, many DV winners become disqualified for various reasons. Thus, we can say that being selected in the DV lottery program is not everything, but it is definitely the beginning of a beautiful opportunity to live an American life. As we have said before, being selected in the DV lottery is not everything. After being selected for the DV program, the DV winner has to proceed with the process very carefully in order to reach the interview to get the visa. The journey from the process of DS-260 to the acquisition of 2NL requires a long wait and patience. It may take at least 5 to 15 months for you to get to the interview once you are selected on DV. The Kentucky Consular Cente

DV Guides- Email Sample to KCC to Unlock DS-260 Form and how the KCC will respond to the DV winners?

Hello DV winners! I hope you know well that you need to send DS-260 unlock request to KCC if you want to make some revisions to your DS-260 form. It is essential that all the information provided to the DS-260 must be accurate pertaining to your details. So if you found any mistakes and you are sure, it is necessary to edit the information with correct data in your previously submitted DS-260 form and must be re-submitted as soon as possible.  Here I would like to let you know the sample email to send to the KCC for DS-260 unlock request. Please be reminded that the right mail address of the KCC is-  kccdv@state.gov Subject: 2022AS******** Ds-260 Form Unlock Request Dear Sir/Madam, Please unlock my DS-260 form as I would like to make some revisions. My Details:  Full Name: Bikesh Sah Sonar DV Case Number:  2022AS******** DV Confirmation Number:  2022**************** Passport Number: ******** Date of Birth: ********* Thank you. Best regards, [Your Name] After sending DS-

The List of Ready DV2022 Cases and Issued Cases from the Asia Region

Updated on 1 Jan 2022 The list of Issued DV2022 Cases: region caseNumber caseNumberFull consulate status submitDate statusDate AS 133 2022AS133 RNG Issued 7-Oct-20 3-Nov-21 AS 890 2022AS890 RID Issued 9-Nov-20 14-Dec-21 AS 1711 2022AS1711 MTL Issued 8-Nov-20 22-Dec-21 AS 1912 2022AS1912 RNG Issued 9-Oct-20 16-Dec-21 AS 1925 2022AS1925 YRV Issued 25-Oct-20 2-Dec-21 AS 2423 2022AS2423 JRS Issued 16-Oct-20 20-Dec-21 AS 3290 2022AS3290 RID Issued 9-Nov-20 20-Dec-21

Nepali #DV2022 winners, who received 2NL for INTERVIEW for Consular office of US Embassy Kathmandu (2/20/2022)

Nepali #DV2022 winners, who received 2NL for INTERVIEW for Consular office of US Embassy Kathmandu:   SN caseNumberFull consulate status submitDate statusDate Ready 1 2022AS1 KDU Ready 7-Oct-20 18-Feb-22 1 2 2022AS4 KDU Ready 7-Nov-20 18-Feb-22 1 3 2022AS6 KDU Ready 1-Nov-20 18-Feb-22 1 4 2022AS7 KDU Ready 9-Nov-20 18-Feb-22 2 5 2022AS11 KDU Ready 7-Nov-20 18-Feb-22 1 6 2022AS12 KDU Ready 11-Oct-20 18-Feb-22 1 7 2022AS14 KDU Ready 24-Oct-20 18-Feb-22 1

DV2021 Case Processing update of Nepal (Up to 5 September 2021)

The fiscal year of the DV 2021 visa issuance process is coming to an end on September 30. In this context, there are clear indications that not even 60% of the DV 2021 visas will be issued through the regular process, which is a matter of concern for the winners of DV 2021. As you may know, the US government court has not been able to give a promising verdict in favor of any of the DV 2021 lawsuit proceedings. In this sense, there is a question mark over the possibility of getting a visa for those who spend a lot of money to participate in the lawsuits. In the year 2021, 3801 Nepalis were selected for the DV lottery program, which is the second-highest number of DV winning country in Asia. According to the DV Lottery Charts' data published on 1st September, 31% of the winners have so far received visas, with 531 receiving visas and 522 being interviewed. The details are briefly presented in the table below. Total DV Winners   3801